Monday, September 17, 2018

Illuxcon and Separation Anxiety

  So, this past weekend I went to a convention called Illuxcon.  I have wanted to go for years and this year, not only did I go, but I showed some art in the 2 night Showcase event.  Needless to say, being my first show, I was a nervous wreck.  And on top of it all, after planning and waiting all year for this, I came down with a terrible head cold the night before I left and was sick all weekend.  But it was a pretty great experience despite feeling like death warmed over.  I would have like to talk to and meet more people, but I just wasn't up to it and I didn't want to subject people to my sickness.  Everyone was so nice and I got some really positive feedback.  Enough to encourage me to keep it going.  
  In the first hour of the first night, I sold my most expensive painting on the table.  It was also my newest painting, 'Nightflight'.  Having only finished it only a couple of weeks before, and being my new baby, it was quite devastating to sell it so quickly.  I really didn't think my stuff would sell, not like that.  And had I sold one of the other, older paintings, I would have handled it better.  When I realized the man might be about to say he wanted it (on his 3rd pass by the table within about 10 minutes time), I started to panic and wanted to rip the price tag off and say it was a mistake.  But that would have been very unprofessional of me and I just went with it.  I am still having pangs of regret and separation anxiety over the piece, but I am forcing myself to let it go and turn my thoughts to moving on to another painting.  I think I would be much better about it all if I had gotten a really good photo of the piece first (which I did not) so I would at least have that.  Live and learn.  The new owner seemed a very nice man and I believe it will have a good home.  He has also told me that he will try to get a good photo of it for me, so that will be great if he can.
  So, now I am recovering for a few days and the ideas for new works are churning in my noggin.  I am thinking of doing a couple of shows in the coming year, so I should have plenty to blog about in the coming months.

This was my table at the Showcase.  Sorry for the terrible lighting...I should have changed the setting on my camera. And it's blurry.  I was sick, remember?  ;-)

1 comment:

  1. You better be glad you sold that painting to that man! I am so excited that you are allowing other people to see your work in this type of setting. Now you can hear from people other than us few how amazing it is. I will stop now. Just so proud of you. You deserve to be recognized for your talent. Keep up the amazing work!

    ReplyDelete